The Maxim Motor Company was an American automaker headquartered in Middleborough, Massachusetts, specializing in the manufacture of firefighting apparatus. The company was founded in 1914 by Middleborough Fire Chief Carlton Maxim, who felt that he could make a better fire engine than the town's recent purchase. By 1920 it was an established manufacturer of fire engines for towns in Massachusetts, and from the 1920s through the 1980s it expanded to small but reliable markets in the south, mid-west, west coast, and internationally. Howard Smith, two time author on Maxim has estimated that, all told, Maxim made over 3,000 fire engines during this period. . Also known as Maxim Motor Division (when bought by the Seagrave Corporation in 1963 and operated as an independent corporation). Known as Maxim Industries when bought by North Street Associates in 1975. Changed back to Maxim Motor Company when owned by David Deane, owner of Springfield Fire Equipment. Acquired by Harvey Waite in 1985 and company changed to Maxim Incorporated. Waite took on a partner in the form of Urban Transportation Development Company (UTDC), a subsidiary of Lavalin Ltd., a worldwide engineering company. UTDC bought Waite out in 1988. On December 9, 1989 it ceased operation due to heavy competition, but in 2009 was re-established as a brand by Greenwood Emergency Vehicles of North Attleboro, MA.